Per the Washington State Legislature website
Promotional contests of chance authorized.
(1) The legislature authorizes:
(a) A business to conduct a promotional contest of chance as defined in this section, in this state, or partially in this state, whereby the elements of prize and chance are present but in which the element of consideration is not present;
(b) A financial institution, as defined in RCW 30.22.040, to conduct a promotional contest of chance under this section in which: (i) A drawing for an annual prize is held that includes as eligible prize recipients only those persons who deposited funds at the financial institution in a savings account, certificate of deposit, or any other savings program and retained those funds for at least twelve months in the savings account, certificate of deposit, or other savings program; and (ii) drawings for other prizes are held from time to time that include as eligible prize recipients only those persons who deposited funds at the financial institution in a savings account, certificate of deposit, or other savings program. No such contest may be conducted, either wholly or partially, by means of the internet.
(2) Promotional contests of chance under this section are not gambling as defined in RCW 9.46.0237.
(3) Promotional contests of chance shall be conducted as advertising and promotional undertakings solely for the purpose of advertising or promoting the services, goods, wares, and merchandise of a business.
(4) No person eligible to receive a prize in a promotional contest of chance under subsection (1)(a) of this section may be required to:
(a) Pay any consideration to the promoter or operator of the business in order to participate in the contest; or
(b) Purchase any service, goods, wares, merchandise, or anything of value from the business, however, for other than contests entered through a direct mail solicitation, the promoter or sponsor may give additional entries or chances upon purchase of service, goods, wares, or merchandise if the promoter or sponsor provides an alternate method of entry requiring no consideration.
(5) No person eligible to receive a prize in a promotional contest of chance under subsection (1)(b) of this section may be required to pay any consideration other than the deposit of funds, or purchase any service, goods, wares, merchandise, or anything of value from the financial institution.
(6)(a) As used in this section, "consideration" means anything of pecuniary value required to be paid to the promoter or sponsor in order to participate in a promotional contest. Such things as visiting a business location, placing or answering a telephone call, completing an entry form or customer survey, or furnishing a stamped, self-addressed envelope do not constitute consideration.
(b) Coupons or entry blanks obtained by purchase of a bona fide newspaper or magazine or in a program sold in conjunction with a regularly scheduled sporting event are not consideration.
(7) Unless authorized by the commission, equipment or devices made for use in a gambling activity are prohibited from use in a promotional contest.
(8) This section shall not be construed to permit noncompliance with chapter 19.170 RCW, promotional advertising of prizes, and chapter 19.86 RCW, unfair business practices